Recorded: Monday, March 14, 2016
Jody Halsted is a guest on Irish Fireside with Corey Taratuta. She answers Max’s question about choosing the best castles for kids in Ireland.
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON below to listen.
Show Notes: (Click on times below to Expand)
Jody Halsted of Ireland Family Vacations joins Corey Taratuta of Irish Fireside on his podcast. Jody has traveled through Ireland with her family annually for many years and is known for her extensive knowledge of traveling through Ireland with families. She and Corey discuss some of the best castles to visit with families.
What are the best Irish castles for kids?
Jody Halsted from www.IrelandFamilyVacations.com
- Episode #115 Fairy Hunting with the Family in Ireland – http://irishfireside.com/2011/07/04/119-fairy-hunting-with-the-family-in-ireland/
- Episode #125 Your Smartphone in Ireland and the best apps for Irish travel – http://irishfireside.com/2013/04/01/125-your-smartphone-in-ireland-and-the-best-apps-for-irish-travel/
What are the main benefits of visiting an Irish castle?
The history and the fantasy.
How did your daughters deal with the idea of a Disney castle with the reality of an Irish Castle?
Disney builds the anticipation of seeing a real castle.
Where should we start to find the ideal Irish castle?
Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Co Clare
Malahide Castle, Co Dublin
Blarney Castle, Co Cork
Birr Castle Demense, Co Offaly
Ashford Castle, Co Mayo
Maximum age to be considered a kid:
Falconry in Ireland
- Amazing experiences to have in Ireland. Highly recommend.
- Several places and castles in Ireland have Falconry
Other Activities that Ashford Castle Offers:
Knappogue Castle, Co Clare
What tips do you have for experiences with kids and castles?
- They are not ADA equipped.
- Remember the limits of your children
- Keep a close eye on your kids
Are ruined castles good places to visit with kids?
OPW/Office of Public Works/Heritage Ireland – http://www.heritageireland.ie/
Cahir Castle, Co Tipperary
Rock of Cashel, Co Tipperary
Ross Castle, Co Kerry
OPW Heritage Pass
King Johns Castle, Co Limerick
Close to Shannon Airport, Lough Gur, and Bunratty – http://www.shannonheritage.com/KingJohnsCastle/
Enniskellin Castle, Co Fermanagh
Near Lough Erne – military history with a History Detective pamphlet for youth – http://www.enniskillencastle.co.uk/
Glenveagh Castle and Glenveagh National Park, Co Donegal
pathways, gardens, and lookouts – rent an electric bicycle – http://www.glenveaghnationalpark.ie/
Ireland Family Vacations
Jody Halsted: www.IrelandFamilyVacations.com — Start Your Journey Here
Mary Mulvihill – www.ingeniousireland.com