Ireland’s currency is the Euro. Because most places you visit will be able to take your credit or debit cards, you don’t need to take much cash. In fact, there is really no reason to get Euros before you leave the US.
If you do want Euros before you leave the US:
- Contact your personal bank to avoid hefty currency fees.
- Most banks have a minimum amount of Euros you can order, often upwards of €250.
- Most banks do not carry foreign currency, so you will want to order it at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Request small bills – €5 and €10 – as some buisnesses are hesitant to accept large bills to make change.
Getting Euros Upon Arrival:
You’ll find your best currency exchange rate at an ATM. Do not, let me repeat, do not use the currency exchange kiosks in the airport or scattered in tourist areas.
Four tips to using your credit/ debit card:
- Notify your bank before you travel. There is nothing worse than having a machine ‘eat’ your card due to unexpected charges.
- Have a 4 digit, numerical PIN#.
- Keep in mind that not all credit/ debit cards are accepted in Ireland. Anything with a Visa or Mastercard logo will be accepted wherever cards are taken. Discover is not accepted anywhere. And American Express is hit or miss (most often a miss).
- You will incur a fee from the bank for using the ATM. Whether or not you incur an exchange fee depends on the card you use.
Get Cash at the Airport:
At Dublin Airport:
Cash dispensers (ATMs) are available both before and after security control in Terminal 1.
Before the security control in Terminal 1, ATMs are available in the Atrium of the Terminal 1 Short Term Car Park, beside the Bank of Ireland branch in the Arrivals Hall, and also at the opposite end of the Arrivals Hall adjacent to the Kiosk shop. Consult the Terminal 1 maps to locate the Bank of Ireland, ATMs and banking services, ICE Bureau de Change and AIB ATMs in the terminal. (Arrival level map) (Departure level map)
An AIB ATM is available in the Wright’s convenience shop located in the Terminal 1 Short-Term Car Park Atrium and also in the Wright’s shop in Terminal 2.
At Shannon Airport:
ATM Machines are located at check-in and in the arrivals and departures halls.