During your Ireland vacation you'll have dozens of opportunities to purchase Ireland souvenirs and gifts.
My advice? Buy items that will keep memories of your trip fresh for years to come.
An added bonus when purchasing Ireland souvenirs – the Value Added Tax refund you receive as you leave the country.
After years of traveling to Ireland with my family and groups, these tips will help you choose the best Ireland souvenirs and gifts for everyone.
Ireland Souvenir Buying Tips
- If you love it, buy it; you may not find it again. This is especially true for hand crafted and artisan items.
- If you enjoy a busker and they have a CD available, buy it (or toss in a tip and add them to your Spotify playlist).
- Irish whiskey – unless the items is exclusive to the distillery wait to purchase it at Duty Free. You'll usually get a better price, the purchase is tax-free, and you won't have to pack it in your carry-on bag.
- Buy ‘trinkets' at Duty Free in the airport. Trinkets = inexpensive items you see in every gift shop.
- Chocolates travel well – buy at Duty Free unless you find a chocolate shop you absolutely LOVE.
- If buying chocolates as a gift purchase two. Unless you have exceptional willpower, one may not make it home.
- Some items can (and should) be shipped. Pottery, crystal, and glassware are a good example of this.
Favorite Ireland Souvenirs for Everyone on Your List
- Children – bodhran, pet rock from Connemara, avoid the Irish tin whistle (hello recorder memories)
- Women – Claddagh ring or other jewelry, handblown glass or Irish pottery, woolens
- Men – whiskey or potcheen, Aran sweater or flat cap
Find the Best Ireland Souvenirs for Everyone
How to Get Your VAT Refund as You Leave Ireland
All the details – the types of VAT refund services and how to use them, as well as Dynamic Currency Conversion – can be found in the article linked below.