Perfect for dessert or afternoon tea! Don't wait for a special occasion to try this recipe courtesy of the 5* Lough Erne Resort in County Fermanagh.
Noel McMeel is executive head chef at the Lough Erne Resort in beautiful (and often overlooked) county Fermanagh.
A true ambassador for local produce, he has dedicated his entire career to one very simple goal: finding, preparing and serving fresh food in season.
For Noel, what we eat has to delight the taste buds, ensnare the senses and nourish body and soul.
Enjoy Noel's Perfect Lemon Curd recipe. Please not that American weights & measures have been added.
Perfect Lemon Curd Recipe | Flavors of County Fermanagh
Lemon curd recipe. Perfect for dessert or afternoon tea. Authentic Irish recipe from County Fermanagh. American measurements included.
- 6 tblsp / 85 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup / 200 g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup / 160 milliliters freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until
smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the whole eggs and yolks with a fork until
- Then, a little at a time, add the beaten eggs to the creamed butter mixture,
until smooth. Once smooth, mix in the lemon juice and beat for 1 minute on high
- The mixture will look curdled in the mixing bowl because of the flecks of
butter. It will turn satiny as it cooks.
- Pour the mixture into a medium, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and cook over
medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes; stirring constantly, until the curd thickens,
never letting it boil. Test for set by coating the back of a wooden spoon and
dragging your finger through it. If a distinct track remains, it’s done.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, and salt.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 3
Refrigerate for 2 hours to serve chilled.