Recorded: Sunday, January 17, 2016 7 pm CST
In this episode, Jody is joined by David and Elizabeth Ross, owners of the Top of Rock Pod Páirc & Walking Centre in West Cork. They discuss their unique glamping pods, local history and upcoming nature walks offered exclusively at their walking centre. Read about Jody’s stay at Top of the Rock.
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON below to listen.
Show Notes: (Click on times below to Expand)
Jody Halsted with her guests, David and Elizabeth Ross. David and Elizabeth own the Top of the Rock Pod Páirc in West Cork. https://topoftherock.ie/
About Top of the Rock
Top of the Rock was a family farm. It is not a hostel, but it does have several hostel-type qualities. Pods here are a very unique form of glamping. Pods are Irish because they are modeled after the old Gallarus Oratory.
Each Pod is:
- Well insulated
- Made of Timber
Walking is a Passion
The Ross’ took on this walking and Pod Páirc as a calling not just a business. they love to show the nature and beauty of the surrounding areas.
- St. Finbarr Walks are inspired by St Finbarr who arrived at the Top of the Rock and admonished the people to return to Christ, after which he made his way to Gougane Barra. Now, people come to walking this ancient route he took.
- 3 walks per year officially
- walks take place Easter, August and September
- 40-60 people come per walk
- 37 kilometer walk
- There are shorter walks available. These walks take about 45 minutes to complete. They take you along the river and through other farms.
- There are also Alpaca walks where you can arrange to walk the alpacas.
You can even purchase handmade walking sticks. These walking sticks are cut in the local woods and a friend of David’s works them and puts leather and the St. Finbarr’s logo on the leather work.
Features Close to Top of the Rock
Top of the Rock is well located. It is 8 miles away from Wild Atlantic Way; 12 miles from Bantry (Sheep’s Head Peninsula); 20 minutes from Rosscarbery. Here is a list of additional places and activities that are close to Top of the Rock:
Types of Pods and Facilities at Top of the Rock
Upcoming Walks Scheduled and Important Information
- Click here to find out more about upcoming walks.
- Important Information about going on Walks:
- Keep in mind these walks go across private farm land. Farmers ask that their animals be treated with respect.
- Some walks allow dogs and some do not. Please respect these rules.
- Please respect the environment. Please put trash in proper receptacles.
3 Things in West Cork that People Should Not Miss
Closing Remarks About Top of the Rock
- Top of the Rock has a very temperate weather all year as well as warm, generous people. In short, it is a very family-friendly place to visit year round. To learn more about Top of the Rock, visit their website: https://topoftherock.ie/
- Follow Top of the Rock on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Q&A from Listeners
- No questions
Final Remarks and Next Blab Promo