Jody is talking with Corey Taratuta from Irish Fireside. Today, they are discussing the ins and outs of airports in Ireland. Learn what to expect and tips to make your life easier as you travel to and from Ireland.
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON below to listen.
Show Notes: (Click on times below to Expand)
- The biggest airport and is therefore the busiest
- 2 Terminals, know which you will be at to know where your car rental company is
- Expect to wait 40-45 minutes to get through immigration, car rental and luggage pick-up
- Don’t use you cell phones while waiting in line at immigration; they can be confiscated
- The airport is very helpful with lost luggage and will deliver it to you if it has been delayed
- Smaller airport
- Easier to get through because it is less busy
- Get through immigration, luggage pick-up and car rental in about 15-20 minutes.
- Shannon is usually a little more expensive than Dublin due to limited flights
Leaving From the Airports:
- Takes more time to get through (3 hours)
- Faster to get through due to more efficient security and immigration lines
- This airport is known for its excellent customer service
- Helpful Hint: If renting a car from Dan Dooley, you will need to take a shuttle to get to the rental location. (You will not see a Dan Dooley desk in the airport like they have with the other car rental companies)
Dan Dooley Car Rental:
History of Shannon Airport:
A few interesting facts:
- Irish Coffee came from this airport
- This was the first place to offer duty-free shopping
- Charles Lindbergh chose the location for Shannon Airport when he was planning the commercial routes for Pan American (PanAm)airlines
What are 3 places in Ireland you shouldn’t miss?
You can also check out the podcasts in which Jody has been a guest using the links below.
- Explore the Best Irish Castles for Kids
- Q&A: Family Travel in Ireland
- Best Apps for Travel in Ireland
- Fairy Hunting in Ireland
Questions about this podcast or Ireland travel in general? Email Jody at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment below.