Ireland's main currency is the Euro. Because most places you visit will be able to take your credit or debit cards, you don't need to take much cash.
In fact, there is really no reason to get Euros before you leave the US.
How & When to Get Euros for Your Ireland Vacation
If you do want Euros before you leave the US:
- Contact your personal bank to avoid hefty currency fees.
- Most banks have a minimum amount of Euros you can order, often upwards of €250.
- Many banks do not carry foreign currency, so you will want to order it at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Be sure to request some small bills – €5 and €10- so you aren't arriving with only €50. And don't get bills larger than a €50.
Getting Euros Upon Arrival:
You'll find your best currency exchange rate at an ATM. Do not, let me repeat, do not use the currency exchange kiosks in the airport or scattered in tourist areas as they charge exorbitant exchange rates.
Five tips to using your credit/ debit card at an ATM:
- Notify your bank and credit card before you travel. There is nothing worse than having a machine ‘eat' your card due to unexpected charges.
- You will need a 4 digit, numerical PIN#.
- Keep in mind that not all credit/ debit cards are accepted in Ireland. Anything with a Visa or Mastercard logo will be accepted wherever cards are taken. Discover is not accepted anywhere. American Express is hit or miss (most often a miss).
- Depending on the ATM you use you may incur a fee from the Irish bank. Whether or not you incur an exchange fee depends on the card you use.
- For peace of mind use an ATM at a bank. If your debit card is pulled into the machine you can often retrieve it right away.
Get Cash at the Airport:
At Dublin Airport:
Cash dispensers (ATMs) are available in both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
In Terminal 1 (T1) you will find ATM machines in Departures opposite Area 5 check-in desk, as you exit the Baggage Hall (on the left), and in Arrivals opposite the exit from security clearance.
In Terminal 2 (T2) ATM machines are available in the Baggage Hall and at the Airside Departures Lounge.
At Shannon Airport:
ATM machines are located at departures check-in and in the arrivals hall. There is also an ATM in the Transit Lounge after security clearance.
Using Cash Apps in Ireland
If you prefer to use cash apps both Apple Pay and Google Pay are widely accepted, but you won't find many vendors accepting Venmo in Ireland.
Instead, you'll want to add the Revolut app to your phone and get it set up before you depart.
Save or Share This Article
Use the handy bookmarking tool in the lower right corner (requires sign in) to set up bookmarks of your favorite articles across the web!
Looking for more Ireland travel tips? Check out the Tips & FAQS page!